Monday, May 30, 2011

We're just givers is all

If you've met me for five seconds you know there are two things I love in life:
  • Hosting parties
  • Giving presents
Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of other things I cherish - wine, family, soccer, my truck, friends and music, just to name a few.

But when I am hosting a party or crafting a present for someone then I am really in my element. It's a southern woman thing.

We believe in good food, good gifts and good times.

I get it honest.

For example, I was always taught to bring a hostess gift to any party I attend. That has been a baffling experience for my friends in Savannah. But then again, I suppose it isn't everyday that someone shows up to a party in a run-down apartment in the ghetto carrying a gift bag of wine and cheese.

But traditionally southern men would only marry women who possessed the trifecta of southern skills: cooking, cleaning and entertaining.

There is nothing I love more than cooking up a big southern meal, complete with appetizers and cocktails, served on my newest set of serving platters (courtesy of Target) to a group of my closest friends.

That's just the beginning. I have six pieces of this set alone.
I even turned a group project into a dinner party with Chicken Pie, green beans, rolls and a fresh jar of Pineapple Moonshine.

Needless to say, the project went well.

As far as gifts are concerned. Let me just put it to you this way.
  • I spent 2 days after Thanksgiving making homemade Rock Candy for Christmas
  • I have my Christmas cards addressed, stamped and ready to mail on December 1
  • Within an hour of meeting someone I usually have at least 5 gift ideas.
  • I keep a stockpile of Hallmark cards
  • I refuse to keep a stash of all-purpose gifts because I want each gift to be special
If you're my friend then bless your heart, you better get ready for the influx of presents.

No comments:

Post a Comment