Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Temper tantrums, soccer balls and the southern condition

When I studied southern history in undergrad, my professor used to continually rekindle the discussion about the anger southerners carry with them.

Historically, southern men tend to be outwardly aggressive and southern women tend to be outwardly passive-aggressive.

I must see this. I feel like I will understand my life better.

Either way it's not real healthy.

Through class discussions we found many possibilities for the source of the anger:
  • We lost the Civil War (well some southerners don't realize that... shhhh)
  • We are anti-progressionists living in a land of progression
  • We see the distinction of our values being chipped away
  • Men and women are pushed into very strict gender roles from a young age
  • Intellectualism is still not fostered like it should be

None of these are answers, because there is no answer. Southerners just have a predetermination for aggressiveness, no matter the form.

For better or worse, it is part of the southern condition.

In my last post I posed the question "Am I passive-aggressive and don't realize it?"

I posed that question because I've been feeling rather passive-aggressive lately. Not to worry, I haven't so much given into those urges, but the fact that I feel them makes me uncomfortable.

Case in point.

As I was playing soccer today I saw a group of legitimate players across the field. Instantly I was angry.

Why wasn't I that good anymore? Why did I ever stop playing? Will I ever be good again?

And then like a sign from God, I pulled my quad muscle on the same leg I am recovering from a groin injury. Awesome.

Sweet Jesus I'm never going to get back in shape.

Curse words were flying (without raising my voice of course), I was kicking the ball with my injured leg out of pure spite - it wasn't cute. No one would have blessed my heart at that moment.

But within a couple minutes I was perfectly calm. I have seen this phenomenon happen amongst friends and family more times than I can count, and it's always a southerner.

God bless our hearts, why are we so angry? We have Nascar, Daisy Duke and rednecks with mullets... what is there to be mad about?

No comments:

Post a Comment