Sunday, May 1, 2011

I like my grass blue

Bluegrass music is not scary - it's fun!

I moved to Savannah seven months ago and in that time I have discovered that bluegrass music makes a lot of SCAD students nervous.

I have to say that I'm a little baffled by that.

Bluegrass music is the heart and soul of the south. It's our roots personified.

Ok. On second thought, maybe I'm not all that baffled. But I do think people should give it a chance.

That's right!

Most people think of bluegrass as being old men picking banjos and fiddles, singing about losing their women or their dog.

While that is not entirely untrue, there is so much more to the genre, especially with the emergence of contemporary bluegrass.

Interestingly enough, a lot of country singers have begun to adopt bluegrass attributes, such as pop country music star Dierks Bentley, so it's entirely likely that you've listened to bluegrass (and liked it) without even knowing it.

For me the appeal is almost always in the lyrics, but then again I can never listen to a good banjo picker without getting a chill up my spine.

Here are some examples of my favorite bluegrass songs ranging from the least scary to the scariest.

Proceed with an open mind please.


This little ditty, "If I die Young" by The Band Perry, hit number one in September 2010. New to the music scene, the lead singer of this family band writes all the songs and they collectively utilize bluegrass techniques within the country genre.


"When You Come Back Down" by Nickel Creek is a go-to favorite when I just want to relax and enjoy an evening. The easy combination of mandolin and fiddle will surely please even the most weary bluegrass listener's ear!



"Shady Grove" by Doc Watson might be a tough sell to a newbie listener. Traditional to the core, Doc Watson is one of bluegrass's most legendary performers. Give it a chance and you might find yourself mesmerized by this banjo picker.

I hope this post will easy the fear's of anyone nervous about giving bluegrass a chance.

If you don't listen to bluegrass then bless your heart, you don't know what you're missing!

2 comments:

  1. Have you listened to the last two Steve Martin albums? The last one has the Dixie Chicks on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a major music junkie and a fan of almost every genre, bluegrass included. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete