Saturday, May 14, 2011

One foot out the door

From the moment I drove across Talmadge Bridge I've had one foot and half my heart out the door, already speeding up I-95 toward North Carolina.

Ah. Western North Carolina.

I've never really been away from home, thus the transition has been that much more difficult. My undergrad years were spent roughly an hour from my childhood home, so naturally I drove home on a really regular basis.

I can't exactly do that now that I'm a solid 4.5 hours away. And I'm tired of missing out on everything that happens at home.

In the North Carolina foothills, the Blue Ridge Mountains keep an ever-watchful eye on the land at their base - farmland, lakes and a lot of trailer parks. The beauty is unmistakable.

You had to know this picture would reappear eventually.

But what I really miss is being myself without question.

In Savannah I feel like I need a translator. I have to tone down my southernisms, my accent - essentially my whole personality - because very few people understand it.

And before you protest, yes I know it's hard to believe that this is the toned down version of myself.

Therefore, I am going to share a collection of my favorite phrases that tend to confuse people the most.

"I get it honest"
This little gem is used on an extremely regular basis at home. It's easier to explain in context, so here is a sample version of the proper usage.
"You are terrible with directions, just like your momma."
"At least I get it honest."
This phrase tends to be applicable in any situation regarding inherited traits from family.

"God's plenty"
An oldie but a goodie, I use this phrase daily, regardless of the ridicule I receive. Again, in context is easier, so here goes:
"Do you have enough food for 4 people?"
"Of course we do. We've got a God's plenty."
It just means there is a lot of something, because God always made sure there was enough.

"Quit being ugly"
This is a very simple phrase, but for the sake of consistency I will use it in context.
"She's such a mean person and she's kind of fat, bless her heart."
"Quit being ugly!"
This is used to essentially say "stop being mean."

See? It isn't so complicated.

Bless your heart, if you keep reading this blog you'll be throwing around southernisms and NASCAR lingo like you just came off the farm!

2 comments:

  1. I told a girl one time that the professor was being ugly to me about my paper and she looked at me weird and said, "ugly? Well just look at him, he can't help but to be ugly." I just laughed--she had no idea what I meant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandma taught me that! Had no idea it was a southernism. I say it all the time too.

    ReplyDelete