Monday, May 2, 2011

It's okay... I'm wearing pearls!

Superman may have a cave and a badass bat mobile, Spiderman may be able to shoot spiderwebs out of his palm and kiss Kirsten Dunst upside down, but southern women have pearls... the ultimate weapon.

Total badass.
As soon as I fix my hair in the morning, I put on my pearl earrings and they stay on until I go to sleep.

I will not go anywhere without them. The gym, the grocery store, the lake - where I go, they go.

Now you may ask, what is the big deal with the pearls? Well, I'm glad you asked.

I'm not really sure why I'm so attached to my pearls, I didn't even acquire this obsession until I was a sophomore in college. Before that I went through a hoop phase... ugh!

Yep. Glad I'm out of that phase.

During my years in undergrad, my friends and I would joke that as long as we were wearing our pearls everything we did was classy... no matter what it was.

Anyone who has been around me for any length of time has surely heard this phrase come out of my mouth... and I believe it to be true.

Another catchy phrase constantly repeated by one of my friends is "pearls are pretty, pearls are tough, and pretty tough sounds good to me."

What can I say? We are steeped in southern tradition and pearls are part of that. 

Pearls are passed down between generations and act as a link between the past and present. 

How can you not appreciate that?

We already live in the past, might as well wear it too and look great, right? Plus they're pretty. And apparently tough.

Bless your heart, as long as you have your pearls on you're classy.


2 comments:

  1. I feel naked if I leave the house without my pearls on. Glad I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pearls too... Earrings and necklaces. Also I have some that my grandma gave my mom and she gave me. So I guess it's not only a southern thing!

    ReplyDelete