Thursday, May 26, 2011

Belle of the ball or Annie get your gun?

I've always thought that by mountain standards I would be considered a southern belle. I wear cardigans, pearls and high heels.

Sure, I have an affinity for firearms and I love to have my car covered in mud, but I thought the shear amount of pearls I own would negate all of that.

The mysterious concoction that makes the perfect southern belle has always eluded me, but it has seemed even more elusive since I moved to the home state of Scarlett O'Hara.

Last night I attended the first event in Savannah in which I was actually surrounded by native Savannahians. True southern beaus and belles.

The 2011 Belle and Beau of Savannah. Photo credit: Savannah Magazine intern, Megan Hall

It was glorious.

I felt like I was at a middle school dance and the captain of the football team had just asked me to dance. I felt insecure, underdressed (even though I wasn't) and totally unprepared (even though I wasn't).

It seems silly to say, but I realized that amidst all my country tendencies, I love the idea (and possible reality) of just being a simple southern belle.

Several months ago I began a secret love affair with work appropriate dresses and fun accessories. Now it seems as though the stars are aligning and finally giving me a non-worked related reason to dress up and be fabulous.

The dress I wore to the event.
Thank you Target clearance section for making me appropriately dressed.

Southern belle attire: halfway check (a wardrobe is never finished)
New authentic beau and belle friends: halfway check (we just met... let's take this slow)

I'm a parasol away from completing this mountain to Lowcountry transformation.

Actually let's not get too carried away here, but bless my heart I do love to put on a cocktail dress and pick out a hostess gift... maybe I could just get a matching gun and fully integrate my two worlds.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, don't think those belles aren't packing heat, Megan Hall. Those Saturday Nigh Specials work any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete