Thursday, June 9, 2011

Southern Geography

Not too long ago I was having a conversation with a co-worker (and fellow Southerner). It went something like this:

Me: I've only traveled out of the south once and that was a 2 day excursion to Colorado.
Her: Really? But you are really well-spoken.

Then last night I was discussing with my roommate the possibility of a trip to Utah. The conversation went like this:

Me: So I was thinking about going to Utah.
Him: Like flying there? In a plane?
Me: ...seriously? Yes, in a plane.
Him: I'm impressed. You know that's across the Mississippi, right?

If these incidents had been isolated they wouldn't have had the same impact. But they really got me thinking.

Most of my Southern friends and family have rarely (if ever) traveled outside of the South, much less outside of the country.

And the lack of geographical knowledge is astounding. Start throwing out names like Ontario, Malasia, Albania or New York and you're going to need an atlas and a lot of time and patience.

So why is it that Southerners know so little about the rest of the country (and world)? Obviously this is a generalization, but in my experience it tends to be a more prominent generalization among Southerners.

Is the South just so amazing that we have no need to learn about anything else? Or have our 6th grade geography teachers failed us?

I don't think there is any sort of answer to this question, but I do think it is an important issue that needs to be addressed.

And for the record, yes, I am a Southern woman who has barely traveled outside the South. And yes, I am very well-spoken. My Southern education has served me well, thank you very much.

If your geography skills are a little lackluster, then bless your heart, I guess I know what to get you for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment