Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Diamond rings and Hot Chelle Rae

Because of my status as a southern woman, I always assumed I would be married before I was 25.

Well you know what happens when you assume.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to be the Charlotte York of Savannah and run a campaign for nuptials. But for a long time it bothered me that I was a 23-year-old with no prospect speeding toward me on a white horse. I felt like a failure to my heritage and an anomaly in my county.

Not anymore, because last night I had an encounter with Hot Chelle Rae's song "Tonight Tonight."

But I'm getting ahead of myself here. Let me back up.

Last night, before my Hot Chelle Rae epiphany, I went on a casual date with a guy I met a few weeks ago. He was a total gentleman and we had a perfectly lovely evening filled with good conversation and delicious food.

But I noticed that the entire night I kept talking about my summer internship and how much I loved my work. At one point I even said how "career-minded" I was.

Then I realized it was true. I am extremely career-minded and I like it that way. Marriage would be nice, but it's not an immediate priority and that's okay.

And as the weight lifted from my shoulders, I had a little talk with myself:
It's 2011 for Christ's sake, Megan. Southern women can do more than get married and juggle children, careers and husbands. We can even drive cars now... and wear pants. Live your life!

Now to the Hot Chelle Rae portion of the evening. When I arrived home my roommate informed me that he had finally downloaded "Tonight Tonight," and proceeded to play it.



As I danced around the kitchen baking muffins to the rhythm of that hilarious song at 11:00 at night, I realized that I am happy. And I'm single.

But bless the heart of any man who marries me, he might want to see my white girl dancing skills before he makes any rash decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment