Friday, June 10, 2011

Life on the outside

After yesterday's post, I started wondering - what's life like outside of the South?

Sure, I spent 24 hours driving to Colorado where I spent 2 glorious days exploring the area around Aspen.  However, I slept through 60% of the drive, so I learned little to nothing about the rest of the country during my adventure.

So other than cell phone pictures of the Mississippi River and the jail where Charlie Sheen was held, I'm still at a loss for what it's like on the other side.

Oh Charlie Sheen. Seeing that jail was the highlight of my trip.

I hear my non-southern friends talk about their experiences and how different it is, but no one can seem to pinpoint what is so different.

Clearly we do things differently, but I just can't put my finger on exactly what it is.

They say there isn't segregation and no one cares about race outside of the South, but from what I've gathered, all cities seem to be segregated in one way or another whether intentionally or unintentionally.

My friends tell me that we do things slower in the South. I have to disagree again... to an extent of course.

Cities are fast-paced, even in the South. Rural areas are slow-paced, even outside the South. That seems to me to be less of a regional issue and more of a population issue.

So how else are we different?

I wouldn't know. I haven't really left.

But bless my heart, with an possibly impending trip to Utah I'm sure I will find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment