Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Woman's Work

Growing up I always heard my uncle's say to the women in our family, "Go get in the kitchen and do your gotdamn woman's work."

Typical.

Even though they were joking, I always felt like there was a certain level of truth or sincerity to what they said and how the women, myself included, would obey their taunt.

While I certainly agree that women deserve equal rights on all accounts, I guess I'm old-fashioned in my gender-role mentality.

As a southern woman, I feel that once I am married it is my job to take care of the house, my husband and my family, while also having a career if I so choose, and I will choose to have a career.

So with all that said, you might ask, what exactly is the role of the woman in a southern household?  Well, I'm glad you asked.

Southern women (the good ones anyway) are raised to be the backbone of the southern family. It's been that way since the beginning of our culture and it won't be changing anytime soon, at least not for me.

But thinking about my role as a woman taking care of the household also made me wonder exactly what woman's work is in comparison to man's work.

Here's what I came up with.

  • Indoor cooking (woman's work); outdoor grilling (man's work)
  • Emptying garbage (man's work); putting in a fresh trash bag (woman's work)
  • Use of any power tool or ladder (Man's work); clean-up of any project involving said items (woman's work)
  • Care of the children, especially poppy diapers (woman's work); playing with the child when it is not pooping, crying, eating, throwing up, etc. (man's work)
  • Putting on fresh bed linens (woman's work); making said bed linens dirty (man's work)
  • Hosting a dinner party (woman's work); pouring an after dinner glass of moonshine/whiskey (man's work)
  • Never pooping, farting, burping or having any bodily functions (woman's work); continuous farting, burping, pooping or bodily functions of any sort, even imitations (man's work)
For all the southern men out there who didn't marry a well-trained southern woman, bless your heart, it's going to be a rough life!

1 comment: