Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Day in the Country

Just when I thought I would never feel at home in Savannah, I found the hidden jewel of Effingham County.

Now to say I found it would be inaccurate. I was actually taken there by my boyfriend, his brother and their father. Add to the mix their redneck friend, who reminded me of every person I ever loved in my hometown, and you can tell we were a lively bunch - toting guns no less.

Now, you may ask, why in the world would my boyfriend randomly take me to the country with guns?  Well, I'm glad you asked.

He took me for two reasons:
  1. He knew I was suffocating in the city
  2. He knew about my love of guns
Driving out to Effingham County from downtown Savannah, I was instantly flooded with nostalgia and happiness when I began to see run-down houses, empty fields and a lot of redneck memorabilia. It was like I could breath again.

There is something about being in the country, especially when you are with great southern people, that just makes life better.

Except that now I desperately want my concealed weapons permit.  And I desperately want the little .380 pistol I tried out! 

A gun that will fit in my clutch purse (roughly the size of my hand).  So cute!

I also think it's important to note that we did not go to a gun range. We went to a person's backyard to shoot. It was just like being at home!

The trip to Effingham County taught me that no matter where you are, you can always find a piece of home if you look hard enough

Bless the hearts of my boyfriend and his family for showing me that little slice of heaven.

1 comment:

  1. I was sitting in the hospital when I read this post and I laughed out loud when I read the first sentence. If it weren't for the age difference, I would believe we were separated at birth.

    ReplyDelete