Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Grudge? No, just sweep it under the rug.

Let's be honest. Southerners love to hold grudges, especially southern women.

We could make it an Olympic sport and win gold every time -- it would be a nice compliment to our honorary gold medal in "sweeping it under the rug."

But I've decided (cover your eyes if you're a southern woman) that I don't like to hold grudges. Too much work.

Don't get me wrong, I will still sweep every unpleasantry directly under my rug, but grudges aren't my style unless there is an exceptionally good reason.

Makes me feel better about my own rug.

No offense to grudge-holders, but I don't care if Bobby-Sue down at the Shoney's forgot to give you extra mayonnaise for your fries. Just don't go back, it doesn't have to become WWIII between you and every Shoney's in the piedmont triad.

Forget the eggs! We need mayonnaise!

From Bobby-Sue's mayonnaise debacle to Aunt Mary forgetting someone's birthday, I've spent years watching family and friends waste away under the weight of grudges and it just seems silly.

We are a church-going people. So what reason could anyone possibly have for going against God's wishes for forgiveness?

Personally, I find solace on the high road, leaving all my personal baggage behind and traveling light.

There is something so comforting about forgiving a person for a wrong they've committed. By doing so, you enable them to forgive others and so on and so forth.

Yep. Grudges aren't worth the hassle, but don't lift up my rug -- you never know what's been swept under there.

If you are a grudge-holder, bless your heart, you look a little tense.

No comments:

Post a Comment