Monday, April 11, 2011

The Unholy Trinity

I'm sure that to most people the idea of being happy is often a reasonable goal. And most people know how to be content when they find it.

Not southerners.

The burden of southern history weighs on the shoulders of each true southern person whether they choose it or not. It's a product of our past and a signal of our future.

It's not just a phrase; it's also a famous book.

So, you may ask, what is this burden and why won't it go away?  Well I'm glad you asked.

The burden of southern history is a mixture of many things, mostly events, but, for me, its most prominent manifestation comes in the form of a phrase - The Unholy Trinity of Southern History - coined by southern liberal writer, Lillian Smith.

The unholy trinity of southern history is:
  1. White supremacy
  2. Worship of white women
  3. Evangelical religion
Each of these has its own story and its own set of problems (more on those later). But the essence is that because of the wrongs southerners committed, or refuse to admit we committed, we have a hard time letting go of our guilt, anger and shame.

That makes it difficult to ever be satisfied. Or happy.

But let me be clear, this is not the burden of every southerner. Just some.

I used to believe this wasn't true, but now, after studying southern history pretty extensively, I'm not sure that it isn't true.

If I look at my own life, all of the issues I can't let go of are usually traced back to the unholy trinity in some form.

Examples:
  • Dichotomy of gender roles in the south -- Worship of white women (southern belles)
  • Issues with religion -- Evangelical religion
  • Being from a racist county -- White supremacy

I can be proud of my roots while still questioning their history. Maybe one day the south will come to terms with its history.

Until then, I will continue to question, research and pray until I can find peace between my roots and my beliefs.

This post was created for a reason. Tomorrow is April 12, 2011... the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the War between the States. That weight's feeling heavier and heavier.

Bless the hearts of all the southerners still carrying the burden of southern history - it's not a light load.

No comments:

Post a Comment