Saturday, April 23, 2011

I Like My Women Big

"We're gonna have to fatten you up."

Regardless of the Daisy Duke fantasies and June Cleaver standards, southern men typically like their women bigger. Not obese, but a real woman with hips and thighs.

However, there is a running trend in my county that when a girl gets a shiny ring on her left hand she subsequently gains 20-50 pounds around her waist (depending on the size of the ring of course).

That's a big ring...

Now, I have no concrete statistics to support my thoughts, but I think southern men like their women bigger for security reasons.

Once they fatten us up, where are we going to go?

So, you might ask, why would God-fearing, bible belt men be weary of their women straying? 

Well, I'm glad you asked, but I have no idea.

I researched statistics expecting to find frightening increases in the divorce rate or decreases in religious adherents, but I found no such thing.

In fact, my findings were fairly neutral.

In North Carolina, the divorce rate has increased, but only by around 2,000 people, which would equal less than one percent.

The number of religious adherents, mostly southern baptist (shocking, right?), has increased, but not in proportion to the population growth.

So with a barely increased divorce rate and a mildly decreased percentage of religious adherents, why are southerners so insecure about relationships?

Why do southern men feel the need to fatten up their women?

We are supposed to be the land of religious values and strong families. What is happening to us?

What is causing us to let our roots fall by the wayside and our insecurities to take center stage?

I wish I knew and I wish this was a new phenomenon.

Bless their hearts, maybe southern men just like real women and that's all there is to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment