Monday, July 25, 2011

Praying to Dionysus

Since I crossed the Georgia border I've been praying to Dionysus and he finally answered my prayers by way of the Butterducks Winery in Guyton, Georgia.



Put an animal on your label and people are putty in your hands.

For those of you who aren't up to par on Greek God trivia, Dionysus, also known as Bacchus, is the God of wine, agriculture and fertility of land. Essentially he's my hero.

If you don't know about my love affair with wine, then you don't know me at all. Shame on you.



I will direct your attention to the right side of this photo.
I also have a love affair with stemware - and this is only part of my collection.  Don't judge me.

On a trip to Savannah prior to my graduate school induced move, my father and I had a very fateful visit to a winery in City Market. I have blocked that portion of my life from my memory because it was so terrible.

It was the first time in my life I'd wanted to spit out wine. I never waste wine.

From that moment on I was convinced that North Carolina was the only state that had great independent wineries. Before you say anything, yes, I realize plenty of other states have them too. But let me be a little narcassistic on behalf of my great state, alright?

Then it all changed.

I got a magical phone call that my friend, knowing my love of wine, had located a winery in the country - totally my style.

As soon as the first sip of that sweet Chardonnay hit my lips, the light butter taste and smooth oak accent let me know that Dionysus hadn't forgotten about me, he'd lead me home.

Bless your heart Dionysus, I bet you knew how to have a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment