Friday, July 22, 2011

The country bar

As I mentioned before, most of my friends in Savannah are not from the South, although several are from rural communities. But even though we share the bond of the rural perspective, I think we're having some linguistic discrepencies.

For as long as I can remember they have been talking about finding a country bar. There was even talk of square dancing and cowboy boots. I think we're on two different pages.

Where I'm from, I would consider most every bar to be country. In my mind there isn't a deliniation between country and non-country bar... they're just bars.

At the bars I'm used to, there isn't much square dancing, mind you, and while most people do wear cowboy boots, it's only because those are their fancy shoes. However, you will find in droves the staple of any country bar -- rednecks throwing back Budweisers like they're going out of style.


Maybe they'll let us join their drinking team? A girl can only dream.

With this experience in my mind, I feel like my friends and I are going into this adventure with different expectations. I'm expecting to see a bar filled with rednecks drinking beer, completely reminiscent of my high school days. I think they might be expecting to see a bar scene out of 8 seconds, but dramatized with a choreographed dance number, of course.

But then again, we will be in rural Georgia. Anything can happen, right? Bless their hearts, this is the home of the redneck games. What's a little square dancing after spending a day bobbing for pig's feet?

1 comment: