Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Anyone need a green card?

I recently made a trip home to North Carolina. While I was there I got to spend some time with Bob*, one of my best friends from undergrad - quite the treat!

However, things almost took a turn for the worse (or the hilarious) when my sister and I took Bob with us to lunch at a hole in the wall sandwich place in the country.

At this point it is important to note that Bob is the trifecta of ethnicities - French Canadian, American and Mexican. But physically speaking the Mexican portion is the most prominent.

While eating lunch, another old friend of mine, James*, walked in. After chatting with him for a few minutes, I returned to my table to find my sister and Bob laughing hysterically.

Apparently, they were planning to approach James and tell him that Bob and I were engaged, but only so Bob could get his green card. As fuel to the fire, Bob was going to speak solely in Spanish the entire time.

Green means go?

Hilarious, but not good.

In my hometown, people are not exactly fond of hispanics, nor do they respect them very often. So the prospect of one of their own (me) dating "one of them" (my hispanic friend) probably wouldn't have gone over too well.

Bless my heart, if they had followed through it could have branded me for the rest of my dating life.

*Names have been changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment