Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Banjo is the Soundtrack to My Life

When I was in college in the mountains of North Carolina, yet another place I mistakenly thought my accent would go undetected, my friends, well my non-southern friends, became enamored with my accent.

In fact, they became so enamored that they decided my accent reminded them of a banjo (hence the title of the blog).  So from then on, whenever my accent would get particularly thick someone would start making banjo noises.  That was also usually the cue that no one could understand me.  I would be adding vowels and dropping consonants left and right until I would hear the banjo noise and notice the confused expressions around me.

Note: My accent gets thick(er) during select occasions.  If someone talks about it.  If I am drinking.  If I am extremely excited, mad, sad, sick or whiney.  Okay, maybe it's not so select.

Anyway, at first I was a bit offended by the whole banjo distinction.  I don't think I sound like a banjo... much.  Then I realized that I love the banjo, so why would I not want to be associated with it?

Nothing lifts my mood more than a great mixture of banjo and fiddle music, especially if it's Doc Watson.  How can you not be inspired by a blind 88-year-old who is one of the best guitar and banjo players of our time?  As a side note, even though he is blind, he managed to build a toolshed behind his house in North Carolina... impressive?  I think yes.

The banjo has influenced a lot of areas of my life.  It's my muse for writing (and yes, I'm listening to the Doc Watson Pandora station right now), it's my relaxation tool and its a source of bonding for my father and I.

Incidentally, I was recently able to combine 3 of my favorite things into one glorious afternoon.  My father and I regularly visit wineries in the Yadkin Valley of North Carolina.  Well on this particular day we pulled up to a winery called The Divine Llama... and no I'm not kidding.  This winery/llama farm was the greatest place ever.  The co-owner stopped working in the vineyards (which are right next to one of the llama pens), opened the tasting room, put on banjo/fiddle music and gave us a wine tasting.

Llamas?  Check.
Banjo music?  Check.
Wine?  Check.
Best day ever?  Check!

So I have decided that I am no longer embarrassed by the banjo comparison - I'm fully embracing my banjo-ness and consequently my love for llamas.

Bring it on non-southerners.  You're going to have to try harder than that to make me ashamed of my southern ways.

But bless your heart, I know you're trying awful hard!

Come on back now, ya hear?

No comments:

Post a Comment